Thursday 18 February 2010

In the real world, just upside down...

So yes, once again it's been ages since I last posted anything. And once again it's because I haven't really been doing anything extraordinary But at least I've been doing nothing extraordinary in the summer on the wrong side of the world! Of course there was a brief sojourn back to Western Australia for Christmas and New Year, where I was introduced to a never ending stream of Australian friends and family, so traumatic that I have blocked many of the finer details from my memory... Actually it might have been the cocktails that did that...

Unfortunately a consequence of the long-term travel is that you inevitably run out of money, and that means work. So yes, I am still in Christchurch (and therefore can comfortably say to you all: "stop living in the past!". Yes, bad joke, I know), and no I am not still waitressing. Much. I now have full-time employment being shouted at down the phone. But at least I get regular breaks and the pay's OK. Of course I now have the added bonus of having my boyfriend here (at least until New Zealand realise their mistake as he drinks them dry...), so we're doing usual couple stuff of looking for somewhere to live, buying a car, etc. A normal life, just on the wrong side of the world!

Of course part of me is desperate to move on. The rest of me knows full well that money is a necessary evil and if I stick with work for a few months I will have enough money to leave the English speaking world and stretch my Spanish to the limit! A few months more and I might even be dragging a certain Australian chappy along with me.

In a week my parents come to join me for a few weeks holiday (possibly checking that I REALLY am still alive since I've been so lax with the blog...), so stories of travels and misadventures should abound... Especially when they meet my Aussie...

No comments: