Friday 12 September 2008

And she's fallen at the first hurdle....

Oh yes, I'm NOT in Berlin. I'm back chez Mum and Dad for the night. What went wrong? Eurostar. Seems there's been a lovely chemical fire in the tunnel, which I found out as I arrived in St Pancras by the hordes of people milling around. There will be no trains tonight. There may be no trains tomorrow, although if there are there will be very few. Basically, chances of getting to Berlin by train before my Moscow train leaves? Slim to none. So I'm on an Easyjet flight tomorrow morning. So much for green credentials eh?

Of course it's fine, I have travel insurance. Except they'll only pay per 12 hours delay. Whoopee. So I could hang around for 2 days, miss Berlin and risk missing my train to Moscow, and earn enough insurance money to pay for a flight (although not the hostel accommodation I'd booked). Or I could get on a plane tomorrow morning and only arrive a few hours later in Berlin than I originally intended... I made my choice, I want to see Berlin. Although this does mean I'm not travelling London-Beijing by train. Which I'm more than a little irritated about.

So now I'm going to stop ranting and get back to my glass of wine before having an early night and getting up stupidly early to get to Gatwick. Second time lucky?

2 comments:

John said...

So off she went with a skip and a grunt (big back pack). While I stayed behind with a quiet tear.

John said...

I have had a good look around but she has not appeared back again tonight. Looks like she has really gone this time.
Lucky world.