Saturday 13 September 2008

Second time lucky?


So, I made it to Berlin!

And I have a hangover. I had one of those nights when you end up in a basement bar watching a live rock band in Berlin, happens to us all eh? I'm pretty sure it was the fault of my roommates... I'll blame Martin anyway...

So I've been doing the tourist trail. Predominantly I've been in East Berlin. I visited the holocaust memorial, and it really got to me. I didn't expect it to hit that hard. When you stand on the edge you're just looking at a rippling sea of concrete rectangles (that are vaguely reminiscent of posh victorian graves). You walk into it and the ground is rippling, so you don't really realise that the blocks are getting bigger until suddenly they're way above your head and the sound all around cuts out. That's when it gets you.

I went to checkpoint Charlie today, where there's nothing to see except blokes posing for photos in American Uniforms in front of an American flag. That's all you see everywhere. Not British, not French, it's the stars and stripes. Anyone would have thought they HADN'T arrived late!! It must be especially annoying as there's and American flagged gate right outside the French embassy, bet they LOVE that!

I nearly forgot to mention the currywurst. Drowned in ketchup, best hangover cure ever! Photo to come when I work out how to upload them...

1 comment:

Dave said...

German beer = no hangover. German wine = liver leaps from body in bid for freedom.