Friday 16 October 2009

Yes I am still alive - promise!

So it's been quite a while since I last wrote on this (the bad apple referred to in the last blog got fired!). I'm still in Broome, and maybe that's why. Not that I've done nothing, but more that I slowed to “Broometime” and what with work, beach and trips around The Kimberley I've not found time to write. I'm now nearing the end of my time in Australia as my visa will expire at the end of the month. This means that I will be on the road again very soon, and I feel that you should be updated with where I am so far before I start regaling you with my new adventures! Those of you who keep in touch over facebook already know a lot of what I'm about to say. Those of you who don't, well I hope you have a REALLY slow day at work because this is going to be long!

Last time I wrote was a few months ago now and it had just rained. Let me start by saying that the “dry” in Broome is not a misnomer. It hasn't rained since then. Not one drop! Although sometimes the temperature drops enough at night for the moisture in the air to condense on the metal roofs and drip down so persistently that it looks like rain. Until you step out from under the eaves. We are now in the buildup to the “wet” (charmingly nicknamed the “sweat” in housekeeping: it's physical work and as the humidity rises... well I don't really need to explain do I?), which basically means that instead of a balmy 32C every day it's now risen to a humid 36-39C daily, and the humidity is rising daily. Everyone has started looking for the storm clouds on the horizon that will bring the first rain, but I doubt I'll still be here when it happens. Of course the storm clouds are currently obscured by the smoke from the band of wildfire burning just outside of town and cutting Broome off from the North completely.

No comments: