Sunday 2 November 2008

Sushi and Karaoke

Well what else are you going to do in Japan? But this was hardcore Karaoke. Singing with the best until 5am with free drinks, free icecream and tambourines. Yes there were tambourine related injuries. No I still can't get the karaoke classics out of my head!

So after our temple me and Lezanne went to Nikko and saw approximately a zillion temples and shrines, as well as experiencing an outdoor onsen in the middle of woodland. For those of you not in the know, and onsen is a Japanese bath, generally hot springs or water pumped up from underground, and you're naked. As we sat cheek to cheek (butt cheeks of course) and gazed out at the trees we wondered whether any monkeys would join us. Unfortunately we didn't see any monkeys (in the baths or otherwise), but we did see a Swiss magician, and Lezanne even saw him doing yoga! (I was NOT getting up for a 7am yoga class). After having relaxed completely we headed back to hectic Tokyo, which is where karaoke happened.

We also visited Miyoko, saw her lovely house, and got shown around the bright (rather daunting) lights of Shibuya by her. Which is where I experienced my first conveyer belt sashimi restaurant. Freshly made in front of us, about 100 yen a plate, and hidden down a side street in between the sex shop and the "love hotel" - you've gotta love Japan!

And I did, very much. However my bank balance has now breathed a sigh of relief as I am now in Cairns enjoying a couple of weeks in the sun before I have to find work in Sydney. So the first day I did nothing. Yesterday I did nothing by the lagoon (where a local indie band was playing for hours of chill out time). Today I.... erm.... did nothing. My plans for tomorrow? Nothing! I'm just enjoying being in the same place for a while! On Tuesday I plan to head up to Cape Tribulation, where I'll probably do nothing :o) Now this blog could turn very dull over the next week.... maybe I'll have to go diving or something.... (sky or sea? - place your votes now!)

No comments: