Tuesday 18 November 2008

Where are the flatshares?

So far I have had very little luck with finding accommodation in Sydney. OK, I tell a lie. There is lots of accommodation if you want to be someones live-in whore, or if you want to share a box-sized room with 2 other Korean girls in Chinatown. However, if you just fancy having your own room with a group of like-minded people (and not have to worry that you put your shoes in the wrong place for 2 months), and you don't fancy being a live-in whore ("don't reply to this advert if you don't know what I'm after if you know what I mean..."), then there are very few choices unless you're willing to sign up to a 3-6 month contract. One option is becoming an au pair (but you do have to deal with their kids then). Another is a long-stay hostel. However, long-stay hostels all kick you out over Christmas and New Year (not a time I fancy being homeless) and not having a job yet I'm not sure that I'm enamoured enough with Sydney to stay here for that long if I can't stay or New Year... I have heard about a waitressing job at the Opera House which I'm going to see about tomorrow though, and i I get that then I probably will stay in a long-stay hostel or a while and worry about the accommodation at a later date. I imagine the tips over the holiday period will probably be pretty good with the clientele there...

No comments: